Explore. Dream. Discover

Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than those you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour and catch the wind in your sails.

Wednesday 17 May 2023

Northwich to Stourport





Northwich to Newport Tuesday



 




Mike & Tina were as usual , wonderful hosts! Fed, watered and wearing clean clothes I headed off passing the Anderson Boat lift in the direction of Winsford. First obstacle of the day… the cycle path was closed…

So a 5km detour eventually got me into Winsfordand across the River Weaver. The cycling was fantastic… small flat back roads, great scenery and a following wind so by the time I reached Nantwich I was well ahead of  schedule. Market Drayton proved to be a rich source of supplies and within an hour I was pulling in to the Premier Inn. Another schoolboy error had led me to book the hotel for the wrong date so by the time I’d amended my booking, the price had doubled! But every cloud has etc… so a big shout out to Wayne from Premier Inn reception who sorted my mess out for me! 



Newport to Stourport on Severn Wednesday

After a bad night in the PI Newport I felt I was due for a little luck…it was not to be. Premier Inn’s signature colour is purple & for those who have stayed in their hotels will know that the light behind the bed glows purple when switched on. Not in room 26… it flashes at 30 second intervals but only after 0230 ! I left in a huff and stopped just before Telford at a McDonalds to write a stiff letter of complaint on cardboard. 

My route basically followed the River Severn southwards through Telford, Bridgnorth, Bewdley and onto Stourport. NCR 45 is a great route up to a point but with fully laden panniers at times it became very trying! At one stage trying to get back on route I ploughed my way through thick wet clay which clogged up my shoes, wheels and any thing else it decided to get its claws into! I also fell off… No injuries fortunately, only a dented pride. 





Arriving  at the Angel Inn in Stourport on Severn I was greeted by mine host, Mark! A more hospitable and generous landlord one could ever hope to meet! He supplied me with a bucket, a brush and a hosepipe to clean the bike and most importantly a pint! 

It’s been probably the most testing of days today but the route from Shropshire into  Worcestershire has been generally flat with a lot of gravel tracks and paths and the added bonus of remaining dry! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

SUFFERING IN SUFFOLK IN SEPTEMBER SUNSHINE

Having experienced one of the worst summers in living memory, weather wise, there was some degree of optimism when the idea of cycling in ...