Explore. Dream. Discover

Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than those you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour and catch the wind in your sails.

Monday 17 July 2023

Redruth to Lands End




 The End to End Saturday 15th 






Suitably fed, watered and rested and with Malcolm & Natalie filming my departure, I swerved my way up the hill from the hotel and headed for Camborne along the NCR 3. My last day in the saddle was underway and it began to rain…. Well, I started this trip in the rain so it only seems fair I should finish it in the rain. Cycling up the estuary at Hayle was hard going but when I got to Marazion with its views over St Michael’s Mount, the gusting wind was ferocious! The plethora of kite surfers in Mounts Bay were having a great time… I was having difficulty staying upright, the wind was so strong.

Windy Mounts Bay

 

I briefly stopped on the quay in Penzance to record the daily video before heading down the lanes through Mousehole, once home of the Penlee lifeboat. In December 1981 whilst attempting a rescue, all 8 of the lifeboat crew tragically  lost their lives. The lifeboat station was moved to nearby Newlyn but is still known as the Penlee lifeboat. My final run into the tacky world of Lands End took me on the road above the surfers paradise of Sennen cove and onto the cliff path with fantastic views of the wild Atlantic and Wolf rock. As I swept through the entrance to Lands End the rain started, and there to capture the moment was Malcolm & Natalie with cameras in hand. 


Nearly





Made it !



The End to End Experience


The welcome party



1804 Km later

 

Malcolm & Natalie had very thoughtfully planned a little celebration and presented me with a medal, a congratulatory card, a beautiful picture and a collection of messages from friends and family… I was overwhelmed and for once lost for words.

So it’s done… off the bucket list and looking for the next challenge.

And for those interested in statistics… the journey was 25 days cycling, 1804 km long with 17,500 metres of ascent.

Finally, my heartfelt thanks to all who contributed to my trip, Dave & Rebecca in Scotland, Mike & Tina in Northwich, Einar, Richard & Sanna for the Bristol experience and Malcolm & Natalie for providing such a fantastic finish! And of course Sue for her understanding in letting me do it. 

I met a couple of cyclists on their way to Lamorna cove and they asked me if I’d do it again…. You betcha I would! 


Sunset at Portreath
Sunset over Portreath 
Tufty Copyright



No comments:

Post a Comment

SUFFERING IN SUFFOLK IN SEPTEMBER SUNSHINE

Having experienced one of the worst summers in living memory, weather wise, there was some degree of optimism when the idea of cycling in ...